The New Jewish Cemeteries
Address: Miodowa 55
Rating:No ratings yet. Rate this!
The new Jewish cemetery in Krakow is one of the largest in Poland. Built in the early 1800´s when the Austro-Hungarian authorities introduced regulations relating to burial grounds, the earliest tombstone is recorded as 1809 and can still be found in the cemetery. It was considered that the old Jewish cemetery in Szeroka Street was too close to the residential area and because the area needed developing the cemetery was closed. The rabbis of the Jewish community felt this site in Miodowa Street would be suitable and subsequently purchased the plot of land from the Order of Saint Augustine. It has since been extended on a number of occasions and now covers an area of approximately 50 acres and comprises of approximately 10,000 tombs. Because of its vast expansion a second cemetery was required and built in Jerozolimska Street, but this was razed by the Germans during the Second World War.
There are no reviews.